Friday, August 31, 2012

Jack-O-Lantern Wreath

So I think most, if not all of us, have fallen into the wonderful bottomless pit that is Pinterest.  I can spend hours on that site just pinning away every single thing that I see.  Problem is, I never really actually do anything with all the pins.  But I'm vowing to be better about it and actually try some of the food I'm pinning (especially since most of it is pumpkin and fall is coming!) as well as some of the crafts.  So with all that being said, I would like to show you my adventure in my first wreath!

I'm pretty much in love with any tulle wreath that I see pinned on Pinterest.  I think that they're so classy but so cute and even if you didn't accessorize it it would still be absolutely adorable.  Plus hey, it actually turns out that it is pretty easy to do!

All you need, at the very least, is a wreath base, some scissors and some tulle!

I found this at Michael's after lots of searching.  If you're going to attempt this, make sure to go check out the bridal aisle at your local craft store because that's where this usually ends up residing.   I got a 12" wreath base and I bought four rolls of tulle thinking that two rolls would be enough for one (I was planning on making two wreaths at the time).  Well, I ended up using all four of those rolls and it STILL wasn't enough, so I ended up using five rolls on one wreath.

To actually get this thing started, all you need to do is cut your tulle into strips and tie it around the base.  It might take a couple tries until you find a length that you actually like.  I don't like mine too long so it did take me time to find the right length.  After that, I went ahead and pre-cut the roll so that I could just tie away... and that's what I did!  It only took about two hours to get the base covered and this is what you end up with:

Now that in itself is absolutely adorable!  But definitely not Halloween.  While I was at Michael's, I picked up a couple accessories to dress it up.  There were a couple bouquets that had leaves and Jack-O-Lanterns and then there were some black roses with purple glitter around the petals.  I ended up buying way more than I actually needed but better to have too much than not enough!  And this is what the end result is:

The roses and Jack-O-Lanterns were cut off the bouquets with wire cutters and then hot glued onto the wreath.  And that's it!!

I have a couple more in mind that I'm going to make so I'll probably post those ones as well! 

Hope you all have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!